Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Challenge Dress #3 - "The Matilda Tutu Dress"

Oh my gosh, I just want to squeeze those cheeks!!  This is my baby girl, Matilda Jane, and she is just the sweetest little thing ever.  Matilda is 7 months right now and even as I look at this picture I feel like my heart might explode.  When I was pregnant with Matilda, I wondered if it would be possible to love another child as much as I love her sister (Savannah).  And oh boy is it possible - I love this little lady to death!  Matilda Jane is a little ray of sunshine every single day!

I am constantly sewing things for my daughter Savannah because I figure Matilda will wear it eventually, but for the "challenge" I decided Matilda need her very own dress and a special one at that!  I used the Sienna Dress Pattern for her little dress, but made a few adjustments for my sweet baby girl.

Challenge Dress #3 - "The Matilda Tutu Dress"

For "The Matilda Tutu Dress" I used two different recycled t-shirts.  I thought this t-shirt was perfect for my little Matilda because she truly is such a good baby and "sweet" is a very good word to describe her.

I shortened the 6-12 month Sienna Dress Pattern and added a tutu with some bright pink tulle (purchased from Hobby Lobby).  I used a gathering stitch (meaning I set my regular sewing machine to the longest stitch possible, did not back-stitch, thus I was able to gather the tulle to make the tutu).



I also made a pair of matching ruffle bottom bloomers to go with the tutu dress.  I just LOVE ruffle bottoms on little baby girls - it's SO cute.  I used the green t-shirt to create these ruffles.  I simply cut two long strips (about 2.5 times longer than the width of the bloomers) and used a gathering stitch to make the ruffles.  I then stitched them down the center to the back of the bloomers.  Again, you don't need to worry about finishing the edges of knit because it doesn't fray!!

I made the sleeves a 3/4 length and added some rick-rack to add a little whimsy.

After you have run your gathering stitch through the top of the tulle, pin the tulle to the dress and sew with a regular straight stitch (1/2 seam allowance).  I just love how the tutu flares out while she's sitting (she's just barely starting to sit up).

And here's my little Matilda Jane sitting in a bumbo seat trying to model her little dress.  Oh she is just such a sweetheart!  I love you from here to the moon and back again!!

Cottage Mama's Note:
  • All pictures of the challenge dresses were taken by Megan Abelard Photography.  More of her work can be seen on her website:  http://www.meganabelard.com
  • The Sienna Dress Pattern is an incredibly well-written and easy to follow sewing pattern.  I highly recommend it for even the most beginner sewer or anyone who is interested in starting to sew with knits.  Click here to find out more information.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...