Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Avocado Enchilada Casserole


Avocado + cheesy enchiladas = HEAVEN

If you are an avocado lover, as I am, then you must try my new Avocado Enchilada Casserole recipe.  Honestly, I had never thought to make these before until I saw an avocado enchilada recipe title on Living Locurto's weekly menu planner.  Though I couldn't really be bothered to go back and look up the recipe, so I just made up my own!

I love casseroles because they can be made ahead of time and put in the oven when ready to bake.  This recipe is perfect to have the kids help you make dinner.  Even my 2-year old daughter Savannah helped me with this one.  She sprinkled the cheese between each layer and finished it off with the green onions - she felt so proud being Mommy's big helper in the kitchen!

Now I am a HUGE fan of Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, which apparently I haven't given you my recipe for as I just noticed searching my own blog for it (oops - sorry)........you must have that recipe too.....future blog post I guess.  Anyway these were so good that I think they might rival my fav.  Give them a try and let me know what you think!


Avocado Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients:
3 large ripe avocados (4 if they are smaller)
1 can red enchilada sauce
1 can green enchilada sauce
1 can "Rotel" tomatoes with green chiles
1 package corn tortillas (10-12), sliced into strips
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 green onions, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Garnish: Sour cream and fresh salsa

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Drain, Rotel tomatoes with green chiles.  In a mixing bowl, combine drained rotel, red enchilada sauce and green enchilada sauce.  Cut avocados in half and then into strips.

Now begin layering your casserole in a 9 x13 glass baking dish.  First layer 1/3 tortillas, then 1/2 of the avocado (spread out the avocado - it doesn't need to cover all the tortilla), then 1/3 of the sauce and tomato mixture, 1/3 of the cheese.  Then layer all of these things again.  Finally, finish the casserole with a final layer of tortillas, the rest of the cheese and the rest of the sauce.  Sprinkle green onions on top and some salt and pepper, to taste. 


Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.


Serve with a dollop of sour cream, fresh salsa and good tortilla chips - YUM!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...