Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Two Little Pumpkin Heads


I feel so relieved that the girls Halloween costumes are complete.  I went back and forth for several weeks try to decide what they were going to be, but could not decide.  Finally, I took the girls to the fabric store and let Savannah decide. 

I pulled out the Simplicity Halloween costume book and she said she wanted to be a pumpkin.  Perfect!  Not the most creative costume idea, but definitely a classic.  I mean really, how long will they let you dress them up as pumpkins?  Not long, I suppose.

So here is the pattern we settled on.


Today was Savannah's ballet class and they were all supposed to dress up in their costumes.  Not wanting to make Matilda feel left out, I dressed her up too.


Here are my two little pumpkin heads waiting for Savannah's class to begin.  They are looking and acting more and more like sisters these days.  I love it!  I have to admit that the idea of having two little ones 16-months apart scared me in the beginning, but I am realizing more and more that it is actually quite a blessing.

After Savannah went into class, I had to snap a few pictures of my littlest pumpkin head.  She does not like to wear hats (unlike her sister), so I made sure to put a ribbon tie on her little hat.


Here's Miss Matilda thinking about trying to take her hat off.  The ribbon tie worked, she kept her hat on!



After ballet class was over, I took the girls to a local pumpkin patch to take a few more pictures of them in their costumes. 




I have a hard time following patterns exactly.  It's probably the same reason I have trouble following recipes.  I always like to make it my own by putting my own spin on it.  I turned this costume into more of a pillowcase dress, drew my own faces, and changed up the hat a little bit.  I do, however, think patterns are wonderful for help with sizing and inspiration.




The main fabric is orange fleece and the black, green and tan are all felt.  I love working with fleece.  It's so easy to sew and you don't have to worry about serging or finishing the edges.  Not to mention the fact that this costume will be warm and toasty trick-or-treating in the cool October air.


I just love these two little pumpkin heads!

Cottage Mama's Note:  This costume was very simple to sew - perfect for beginners!  If you have not made your child's costume yet, you could probably get this done in about an hour or two.  So if you have an hour to spare, go for it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...