Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, April 1, 2011

Homekeeping: Storing Lettuce

Recently I did some major cleaning in my kitchen.  The girls (Savannah and Matilda) and I scrubbed the front on all of our kitchen cabinets.  I'm sure no one would really notice the difference if you came to my kitchen, but boy did it feel good.  Not to mention the fact that Savannah said it was "the best day ever"........the girl loves to clean and had a blast playing with sponges and soapy water.

That same day I decided to get my refrigerator in order.  I removed all of the shelves and drawers and washed them with hot, soapy water in the sink.  Then I scrubbed the sides of the fridge and now it looks as good as new!

It's amazing how good it can make me feel to take a little time to improve the simple things around the home.  So, this might be totally random, but as I was in my organization, cleaning mode last week.  I made sure to process my produce immediately and properly when I got home from the market.

How do you store your lettuce?  Well, my mom taught me to store it this way along time ago and it makes the lettuce last FOREVER!  Now, I'll be honest with you when I say, that sometimes I'm lazy when I get home from the store and I don't wash my lettuce and store it right away and I end up regretting it every time.  The lettuce goes bad before I've even eaten half of it.  Maybe this is how you store your lettuce already, but if not, I thought I would share this little tip with you.

Homekeeping: Storing Lettuce


Remove your lettuce from the bag (this is organic romaine from Trader Joe's).  Separate the pieces and rinse them in the sink.  Spread out some paper towels.  Lay lettuce down on the paper towels (as see above).  Blot to dry with a clean kitchen towel.


Roll up the lettuce in the paper towels.  You want the paper towels to still have some moisture in them (this is what keeps the lettuce fresh).


Place your wrapped up lettuce into a Ziploc bag and store in the refrigerator.  Your lettuce will now stay fresh for several weeks.  And it is all washed and clean so whenever you want to grab a piece for a sandwich or make a fresh salad, you are all set and ready to go! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...