Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, December 1, 2011

15-Minute Pillowcase {with French Seams} ~ Tutorial


As most of you know, I love lined garments.  Why?  Because I like things to look as beautiful on the inside as they do on the out.  However, sometimes lining projects is not necessary or practical and that's where french seams come in.  A french seam encases the raw edge of the fabric so you have a beautiful, neat and tidy, finished look.


No joke, these pillowcases will not take you more than 15-minutes and they will be gorgeous!  I have seen a lot of pillowcase tutorials, but when my mom told me about this unique technique that she learned from her quilting group, I knew I had to share. 


Consider making a pair of these as a gift or perhaps make some in seasonal fabrics to pull out throughout the year.  I don't sew much for myself, let alone my husband, so this set of pillowcases is staying right on our bed.  A little gift for us.

So, do you want to make the quickest, most beautiful pillowcase ever?  Here we go......

15-Minute Pillowcase Tutorial
{with French Seams}

Materials (1 Standard Size Pillowcase):
Three different printed fabrics - 
Fabric 1: 27"(main fabric) x width of fabric (approx. 43")
Fabric 2: 2.5"(thin accent) x width of fabric (approx. 43")
Fabric 3: 12"(large side band) x width of fabric (approx. 43")
Basic Sewing Supplies

Here are the directions that were sent to me by my mom from her quilting group.  
Click HERE to view in Google Docs.
 
 
Here is what a french seam looks like (pictured above).  Isn't it pretty?  No raw, exposed edges.  You can use french seams when sewing garments as well.  It's a great finishing option if you don't have a serger.
 


 
How about making a set of these for overnight guests?  I think that would be a lovely gesture and then they can go home with them as kind of a 'thank you for coming' sort of gift.


 

 
I've got plans to make several sets of these pillowcases.  I have all this beautiful fabric, so why not rest my head on it when I go to sleep?  I must be a true fabric addict.  Hi, my name is Lindsay and I want to sleep with my fabric.  Haha, just kidding.......well, not really. 

Cottage Mama's Note:  
Fabrics seen here are as follows ~
Fabric 1 (Light Blue Main): Art Gallery Fabric - Alhambra II - Moorish Blooms Aqua
Fabric 2 (Yellow Thin Band): Timeless Treasures - Sweet on NYC - Pixie Yellow
Fabric 3 (Dark Blue Side Band): Art Gallery Fabric - Alhambra II- Cashmere Cameo Night

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...