Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, December 12, 2011

French christmas food shopping and more christmas decor




One of the things I enjoy the most about preparing for Christmas is planning the menus and buying all the 'special' things that we don't buy year round.





The two biggest and most traditional meals will be dinner on Christmas Eve, and lunch on Christmas Day.  While there are no hard and fast rules about what to serve on Christmas Day, we tend to follow traditions for dinner on the 24th.   This means a succession of courses, enjoyed in small portions with complimentary wines and champagne.


Typically the meal on the 24th will include oysters, smoked salmon, foie gras, cheese, desserts, possibly a paté en croute so I get to run around!

For our Christmas Day bird, which will probably be a goose this year, I head to the local farm and reserve the bird, to be collected on the 22nd or 23rd.  Many farms in France sell directly to local clients, this generally happens in a barn or outbuilding and despite the old fashioned appearance, sales are strictly regulated and the produce fresh and best quality.





The same farm will also sell their own foie gras, either  already cooked and ready to serve or - if I'm feeling like a saint ! - fresh for me to prepare at home.






 Oysters are best bought at a local market or fishmongers on the 24th.  Some people buy them already opened, my husband is a dab hand at the job, so we put in an order and collect them during the day.  There is a choice of size and source, we mostly buy oysters farmed in the Mediterranean at this time of year.





Chestnuts are vital for a French Christmas.  many people serve them hot with the roast turkey, or enjoy them candied with dessert.

 Most often I buy these tins of creamed chestnuts and make chestnut and chocolate ice cream desserts - totally yummy!  In fact if you like I'll give you that recipe later this week.







Cheese is always an option for a fine French meal; personally for this meal,  I find it a step too far for what is already a rich menu, so we prefer to keep the cheese for Christmas lunch.
What we won't skip however is a chocolate or two with our coffee.  I'll buy ours from local chocolate makers or our bakers who have an excellent home made range. If I were shopping in Paris, I'd head to La Maison du Chocolat and buy works of art such as these!




I promised you a Christmas decoration update, and yes, the tree is trimmed and lit and the door wreath finished but you know what?  today the sun is not shining but positively d-a-z-z-l-i-n-g and my Christmas stuff just doesn't look right in blazing sunlight so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for the pictures - I'm sorry, let's put it down to artistic license.  All I can offer you are these shots of a little vignette on the fire place, taken with the curtains drawn I may add!

Hope your week is getting off to a good start.
Thank you for reading me.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...