Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Week 1 Project Run and Play - Winter Wonderland


Project Run and Play starts TODAY!

Our first weeks challenge for Project Run and Play (the blogger version of Project Runway for kids) was "Winter Wonderland".  I have to admit, when I saw this theme, I was 100% stumped.  I just couldn't wrap my head around it.  I think part of it was the theme being so wide open and the other part was that I was insanely nervous about what my fellow bloggers would be bringing to the table.  Have you checked out the competition?  There are some seriously talented ladies!

But luckily, I am married to a very creative husband who suggested that I go into my studio, look around at what I have, and see what speaks to me.  So, I thought, ok, it's worth a shot.  And it worked!


I started out with this vintage crocheted collar that my grandma Ethel had sent me.  It just looked like a delicate snowflake that I thought was definitely "Winter Wonderland" like.  Then I dug through my pile of felted sweaters and found this dreamy, blue/green cashmere sweater that was feminine, cozy, and warm.  Finally, I had purchased a bunch of Sandi Henderson's "Meadowsweet 2" and thought this light speckle damask fabric would be perfect for the skirt and the circles reminded me of snowflakes as well.

And here's what I came up with for my final look..........



I wanted this to be a very feminine, romantic winter look.  I gathered the sleeves a little bit and added a small shell button at the top of each gather.


The bottom of the dress is finished with felted cashmere ruffle and picot edging at the very bottom of the hem.


The hat incorporates recycled sweaters and I used strips of the cashmere sweater to accent the top.

The back of the dress has a coordinated fabric covered button where the vintage crocheted collar meets.



Our snow had mostly melted, but as we were shooting these pictures inside, it began to snow outside.  Perfect weather for a "Winter Wonderland" shoot!

In the past, Savannah has not been a huge fan of modeling for me, but she seems to be warming up to the idea.  She told me that this dress was "beautiful and SO cozy"........well, that's cashmere for you.......the girl's got taste, that's for sure!!





I'm so, so happy that I am participating in Project Run and Play - it is definitely going to be a great exercise to stretch my creativity and it's always fun to change things up a bit.

The competition starts today and the voting is open to the public, so head on over and vote for your favorite look!

Click HERE to visit Project Run and Play and VOTE!!

Fingers crossed that I make it to the next round!  If I happen to win this round, I'll be sharing the pattern and tutorial for this dress over on Project Run and Play!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...