Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, January 31, 2011

Weekend Sewing

First off, if you haven't gone over to Project Run and Play to vote this week, would you mind heading over there and voting for #3 "Lindsay's Girly Girl Twirl Dress"?  I usually ask you guys to vote for your favorite look, but this week I need your help! 

This was a particularly hard challenge for me (I'm not much into current women's fashion trends).  We are definitely at risk for being eliminated and the next week is the vintage-inspired challenge which I know I can rock!!  So, if you all would please, pretty please, head over and vote, I would be so grateful!  Voting is only open until midnight tonight.

Click HERE to visit Project Run and Play!


This weekend I decided to take a little time to do some sewing for myself and my family.  I started my very first string-block quilt and these are my first four squares.


For those of you that sew a lot of clothing, you know how many scraps you end up having left over.  I thought this quilt would be perfect for using up all those skinny little scraps that I can't bare to throw away.  Plus, I love the eclectic look of all the different pretty fabrics.


A string block quilt has a "constant" strip of fabric that is sewn down the middle on the diagonal that is usually some type of solid color.  I chose to use white.  When all of the blocks are arranged the "constant" ends up making a diamond shape.  Pretty neat, huh?
In the picture above, you can see how the thin white strip forms a diamond when four blocks are placed together.  I plan on this quilt taking me a very long time, but I love that I am using my scraps and I know it will be gorgeous when it is all finished.


I also decided to sew a quick peasant style dress for my daughter Savannah.  I used the pattern that was given to us during the last Leila and BenProject Run and Play Challenge (the Sweet Dress pattern).  I actually sewed the pattern the way it was instructed this time.


This dress pattern took me about 45 minutes to get sewn (garment label and all!).  I would say if you are a beginner it might take about an hour and a half, but no more than that.  It's super-simple and only has two pattern pieces to cut! I would highly recommend this pattern to any new sewer that is looking to start to make children's clothing.


The only thing I did different with the pattern was to add the ruffle detail down the front.  I think this is going to be a great little dress for spring/summer.  And what I really love about this pattern is that Savannah will be able to continue to wear this as a top when she gets taller - gotta love that!

I hope you all had a great weekend!

Cottage Mama's Note:  The fabric used for the peasant dress is Heather Bailey's Pop Garden - Rose Bouquet - Emerald.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...