Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, September 19, 2011

my favourite French tableware




Among the goodies I picked up at the fairs yesterday were a couple more pieces of my favourite old Sarreguemines tableware.
Sarreguemines , based in the East of France, near the German border,  has been manufacturing since 1790.  Napoleon 1st was a good client, but they have produced china adapted to all social levels.  In 1838 they started producing china for Villeroy and Boch, and very many of the pieces that I find in brocantes today can be traced back to their factories.

They made colourful china, transferware and many different designs, but the line that I am drawn to again and again is this creamy coloured, slightly fluted pattern.  Accessibly priced, we use it daily.  Many of the plates and serving dishes I have found are around 100 years old but they are happy to be washed in the dishwasher.











Do you have a favourite old china, maybe a speciality to your part of the  world?

I'd love to hear about it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...