Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, April 19, 2012

life lists and me

via


It is a strangely addictive and difficult task, that of writing a blog post each day.  I have published every day for the past year or more,  and it's easy to feel duty bound to produce the goods.  Sometimes inspiration is present like waves crashing onto a beach, and sometimes my mind feels as empty and parched as a dry river bed.
One of the big decisions any blogger needs to take is how much will he or she reveal.  How much do readers really want to know? how much do they need to know?  Should a blogger always tell the truth?

Never has this been truer than when I was recently asked if I would write a life-list.... I admit I answered "a what?!!".   Then hunted around and realised I had already seen them, just didn't know they had a name.

Where has this fashion for life lists come from? ( And I don't mean the endless lists of things that must be achieved.  No, the life lists I like to read are those that draw a line, that state they way things are.)   Is it just that we are all getting to that age when it is natural to take stock?  Take one step back and evaluate where we are, what has been achieved, what missed and what - we hope - is still to  come.


my version of the quote from Henry David Thoreau


What would your life list look like?  Here's my challenge to you: (it's more difficult than you may think) put pen to paper and take stock of  where you are in a few simplified phrases.

Here to inspire you (and before I bore you to tears with my life list, which I am STILL hesitating about publishing at all ...) are some extracts from some of the life lists I have enjoyed:

  pragmatism   from   Pura Vida,  who finishes her latest life list like this:

"I have never been more tired and sore and blistered

but I have never been more in love and full of love than I am today

in this old rock house"






  loveliness  from  louboosandshoes,  whose opening lines grab you and pick you up and float you down to the end of this most poetic post

"All that time he was working away, he really would have rather been at home more.

I would do pretty much anything to preserve my children's happiness....."




 and   words of wisdom   from backwards in high heels ,  who lays great store on love, trees, kindness, good manners and dogs.

"Please and thank you are tiny matters, when the world is so crazed and

unpredictable, but I do think they make a disproportionate difference".



And so finally, (and this has to be the most difficult thing I have ever published on this little blog) to my life list, interpret it as you will ....


It's not where you live but how you live it

walking in the rain  in a good hat, coat and boots is delicious

I am difficult to live with

I am horribly disorganised

I wish I could have been a better horsewoman

 people are my best entertainment

the dumbing down of society is terrifying

jealousy is too destructive, I never go there

parents do a tough job

every day something beautiful brings me great joy

I spent hours with my children but know I could have done more

there are more important things than a tidy house 

good craftsmanship makes me happy

I would have loved to live on a ranch and ridden horseback everyday

I wish I could sing well

spoiling my children does me more good than them

I   do   NOT   like   video   games

my blog has taught me that I like to write

a simple life is sufficient


.....







I could continue for much longer, but I won't ...

If you have published your life list just let me know and I'll add you to the post, or if you simply want to write your life list in my comment box I would be honoured, beyond honoured actually.

Thank you to everybody who left such  kind comments after my post about the old lady yesterday.   You are more than generous, you are the reason I continue to write this blog.

Merci mes amis, à demain!

PS.  Here is a beautiful annexe to my post.  A lady sent me a lovely email in reaction to this post, and gave me permission to quote her :  

 Life lesson for me: befriending my instinct requires stillness … 
is essential for clear focus and sense of self… and for soft breathing...


anybody else want to chime in here? 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...