Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

the french country wedding




Marsha at Splenderosa is running another splendid party this month on the theme of The Wedding.   If you don't mind, I have written a little imaginary correspondence between a mother and daughter in the build up to a wedding that will break with family traditions.  As always when I post a piece of fiction I thank you for your indulgence.

I also invite you to pop over to Splenderosa and see the other fabulous posts that have been concocted on this bridal theme.




sunday,  1 january 

Ma chère Charlotte
We are so happy about your engagement to Philippe, he is a charming young man, and I am sure he will make you very happy.  And please don’t worry, his family background is really not that important, I am sure that Papa will find him a very good position in the firm.
To think I shall soon be grandmère !
Your doting mama
***



24 february

Ma jolie Charlotte
Papa and I are very happy to hear that your wedding plans are making progress.  We rather hoped you and Philippe may have visited  for the weekend by now;  I hope you weren't offended by my comment about his family.
We’d like to help you put your guest list together, there are so many cousins to invite and you have to remember all the family members in Burgundy and in the South.  You’ll certainly need a very large venue for so many guests.   I’m sure you will also need some help with the menu for the wedding banquet.
Yours affectionately
Mama
***
29 february
 
Charlotte, whatever are you thinking of?!   only 100 guests! we have never had such a small wedding in the family, what will people say?!   What will the bishop say, he never conducts such small wedding ceremonies, we shall all look so forlorn in the cathedral, oh dear... are you sure you wouldn’t like me to come to you, I could take care of all the arrangements.
Reply promptly please to your
Worried mama
 ***




1 march 

The village church!!  And the reception in a barn?!!  Charlotte, have you lost your mind?!  I had to lie down in a dark room when your papa read your letter to me!   darling that village is tiny, we'll never fit in!  Really Charlotte, I am beginning to think you have lost your senses.  Please take time to consider what a grand and beautiful ceremony we could arrange in the cathedral, your family has always been wed there!

***



sunday, 26 march

Well Charlotte, after a sleepless night worrying about your wedding, I had lunch with my cousin Frédérique today and of course we talked about your plans.   You know how much affection your aunt Fred has for you, and also her boho attitude that I have frankly never understood, I mean how could she live in that beautiful château and walk around all day barefoot!! 
Never mind, that is not what I’m writing about.
Frédérique has convinced me that this is your wedding, not mine, and that everything must be just as you should wish.  
 So please darling tell me what I can do to help ..... and how many dozen white lilies I should order for the day?
 ***
friday, 31 march
 
All right Charlotte, all right, so you don’t want white lilies, although I remember  that in my day they were by far the most chic flower for a ceremony.  

 You tell me "pink roses and field blooms", well I’m sure I don’t know where to order those, but I shall do my best.



Dare I mention the family jewels for your bridal head-dress, or will even they be too formal?  Please, please  don't tell me you just want a rose in your hair!


 ***



3 april

Charlotte, I have received a letter from my great aunt Josephine, asking what gift you would like for your wedding.  She wondered whether you would care for her set of six silver tureens?   I feel so out of touch with your arrangements that I honestly didn’t know what to reply, maybe you could shed a little light. (I didn't have the heart to tell her that your flowers will be arranged in jam jars!)



As per your last letter, I have contacted Joseph, our former coachman, and he says he’d be honoured to drive you from the church in the old carriage.  

 ***





23 april
 
My dearest Charlotte
Thank you darling, I want to tell you how much I enjoyed helping you to choose your wedding dress.  You are right, your friend has a beautiful little store, and yes, her dresses are enchanting.  I love your choice, and I quite understand that the family veil may not be suitable for your country wedding .... but I still think it worth a try.
Your mama


 ***





13 may

Goodness Charlotte,

I woke in the middle of the night worrying about bridesmaids.  Please darling, please listen to me on this one, I would so hate to offend a part of our family; and as you say that Philippe has no little nieces or nephews, would you mind terribly if our family provided that part of the cortège?   I know that Marie-Laure and Stéphanie, would love to see their girls dressed up for the day.  Surely just three little girls wouldn't look too grand?
Please re-assure your mama 

 ***


21 june

Darling, tomorrow is your big day, I wish you well, I'm sure you will look beautiful , mama




23 june

My darling Charlotte,
Your wedding day was wonderful, we are very fortunate to have such a fine young man as our son in law, and I have to say that your simple ceremony had a charm and intimacy that could never have been achieved elsewhere.
Thank you darling for wearing the family veil, it looked beautiful and gave me great pleasure.    I realize that I didn’t make all your planning easy, and for that I thank you even more for your patience and generosity.
Your papa joins me in wishing you and Philippe a wonderful life together, you have certainly shown  strength and serenity in planning this first precious step.
Your mama, and I hope your friend




 ***


pictures thanks to the french blog un beau jour  and to once wed 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...