Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, July 22, 2012

antique french quilts and more news from the south




Thank you to everyone who left comments and sent me emails about the quilts I found yesterday.   I was so excited to find them, having looked for years.  And my excitement reached new levels this morning when my early start was rewarded with a third quilt!!   Thank you for your enthusiasm, it is lovely to be able to share these treasures with such an appreciative audience!






Here are some more pictures, taken in the grounds of our friends' beautiful home, and of course with the gorgeous Gatsby as model.




If you don't mind, I shall pepper the pictures with my answers to some of the questions I received yesterday.....






How come I don't usually find quilts like these in Normandy? Well, this is a speciality from Provence in the south of France, where they are called 'boutis'.  

How old are the quilts?   I believe that the quilts I found this weekend are between 90 and 130 years old.





Are they handmade? Yes , entirely handsewn and handquilted, the filling is wool.




Are they in perfect condition?  -  they differ quite a lot.  The red with gold flowers is very worn with some patches and holes;  the paler quilt with small red roses and mustard backing is in very good condition, it has a couple of small stains which I shall  deal with once home; and the red quilt with striped backing I found today is in remarkable condition.





Are they large?  - they are all a good size to cover a double bed

Will they all be available to buy?  -  Possibly, I'm still deciding which, if any, to keep for myself 







Is Gatsby really as cute as he looks in the photos?  -   No!!  In real life he is WAY CUTER, practically perfect actually; Gibson and Ghetto should start feeling worried!


Thank you for reading me, à demain mes amis!









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...