Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, January 12, 2012

finding brocante at french auctions



 Have you ever shopped at auctions?  There is a sort of thrill to it, as if danger were lurking in the background.  Raise your hand at the wrong moment and you find yourself landing a stuffed boa or the complete works of Marx.




Of course buying at an auction is partly good luck. If there's no one else in the room interested in what you like you get a bargain, but just one other buyer with the same taste as you and you may as well pack up and go home.











At the auction house where I spent yesterday afternoon,  there is seating space for about 100 people and the others stand around the back of the room.  In any case by the end of the sale everyone is standing because the chairs are up for bids too!





So yesterday I found some good stuff, enough to show you a little winter loot shoot.  The light isn't good  today, so my 'group' shot of the loot shoot isn't brilliant. I prefer to show you more individual pictures.



My favourite pieces are the paintings, the sheets (no surprise there!) the old cigarette cases that would be pretty to keep visiting cards, make up or medication in a bag or on a table.





I'd love to hear if you have a great auction story to tell!
Thank you for reading me.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...