Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, January 6, 2012

advice to daphne - a book?!!



My (imaginary) friend Daphne has been in Versailles since last spring and is really settling in now.  She and I have been exchanging notes over Christmas - sounds like she has plans!



Three weeks ago .....
My sweet Daphne

How lovely to receive your invite,  thank you, we'd love to come to dinner next week, sounds like you're becoming quite the Versailles socialite. 

I'm so glad you put my advice about staying slim into practice, it's not surprising that you're feeling so wonderful and 'petite' , I told you there was no secret!  At dinner you'll be able to wear one of those dresses you've been telling me about and show off the new you!

About our conversation the other day ... darling, I know you've been in France for a whole 8 months now, but do you think it may be a tad early to write the definitive tome on the French and their wily ways??  Your Versailles girlfriends may be encouraging , but you know, it's one thing making a few gals  laugh over a coffee, it's another to write a best seller.

If you want to test the water, why not try writing a blog instead - I've heard they're all the rage!

Your friend

S






Two weeks ago .....
Dear Daphne,

I find it amazing that you already have yourself a contract to write!  Whatever did you do to get that ... no , on second thoughts,  don't tell me, I'd rather guess.

And thank you darling, but flattered as I am to be invited by your 'publisher' to write the introduction to the book; I think I shall decline, I'll be happy to buy a volume in our local book store and be able to say "I knew her once" !

your amie,  S




10 days ago ...
Daphne darling,
What’s the matter with the man?!  Nobody pays that much for the opening chapter to a potentially-never-sold book about Paris !! - where's the catch?  The answer is still no,
with affection and patience,  your friend S




8 days ago ...
OK Daphne, it's now official - you've found yourself a publisher with more money than sense.  Well good on you gal, and yes, yes, OK , I'll write a short introduction for you, but please don't ask me to get involved in any of your 'on the ground research', I don't think I have the strength.
PS  They don't really want you to measure hemlines do they?!


Today ...
Thank goodness Daphne,
So glad you saw the light about the man, I knew it wasn't your writing he was after!! :)
Yes of course I was serious about the blog idea; I think it would be great.  You could write about getting to know Paris as a mother with young children and as wife to a successful business man you’ll give us tips on where to shop, where to go for lunch, which hairdressers to use, it would be a ball!  You could cover all the chic stuff we country girls can only dream about.
Speaking of which, why don’t you and I have a chic lunch next week to talk about it?!
Kisses,  ton amie,   S

PS  You’ll need to find a good name for the blog –  I'll ask around for ideas !



Well!  What can I say, sounds like Daphne has more surprises up her sleeve!  If you have any ideas for the title to her upcoming blog, or indeed advice on style and content, I just know she'd love to hear from you!

If you didn't read our earlier correspondence, you may like to know that I already advised her on throwing a dinner party; staying slim; kissing; her clothes and saying 'tu' !

Thank you for reading me (and her!) , Daphne and I both wish you a great weekend!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...