Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, January 6, 2012

On the Cutting Table


This year I thought I would share a little glimpse inside what is going on in my studio with, what I like to call, 'On the Cutting Table'.  By that I mean, rather than always showing your my finished projects, I thought you might like to see what I'm currently working on.  I will still show you the finished pieces, but this way you will know a little bit more about what I am up to on a day to day basis.




This new piece is almost finished.  I need to finish the bottom hem, but other than that, she is ready to go.   My favorite part of this one.......I'm sure you guessed it.......the piping.  I love piping and try to use it whenever possible.  I think it adds such a fun detail and can really make a piece going from nice to fabulous.

If you are interested in learning how to insert piping into a garment, you can view my piping tutorial here.

Fabrics: Amy Butler "Soul Blossoms"


These are two patterns (both dresses) that I designed that are waiting for me to test.  I've tested them once, but I re-drafted a few things and now have them cut out ready to sew.  If they turn out the way I've planned, the next step will be to work on 'grading' (meaning adjusting the pattern into multiple sizes).

When I want to accomplish a lot of sewing, I typically spend an evening doing all of my cutting of several different garments or projects.  I put all the pieces together (including notions and trims) and put them in a pile on top of on another.  Then I work my way through the pile.  Cutting is my least favorite part of sewing, so if I can get that out of the way all at once, I enjoy my sewing so much more.

Fabrics:
Top Piece: Kate Spain "Terrain"
Bottom Piece: Bonnie and Camille "Ruby"




I'm working on a quilt for my little guy, Caspian Finn.  This is going to be a larger version of a baby doll quilt that I made for the girls for Christmas (which I will show you soon).  The center area is made up of tumblers and has sashing around the edge.  I'm going to be using the rest of those tumblers pictured above as well as some additional sashing to complete the top of this quilt.  If it turns out, perhaps I can share my design with you.

Fabrics: Sarah Jane Studios "Children at Play"

So that's some of what I've been up to these days. 

What about you ~ what's on your cutting table?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...